Sunday 8 November 2009

Ushuaia

I think Ushuaia could be resumed in 2 words by mountaineering nonbelievers : shitty weather. Of course there are some nice landscapes, and renting a car for a pair of days can give you a taste of the surrounding nature. For those who are not afraid by touristic attractions you can also enjoy yourself on a catamaran excursion or just shopping on the main road (another San Martin avenue).

I guess I was just about to leave the place with yet another bitter taste if I hadn't met this funny, crazy, impressive group of young french alpinists ! Their idea : going from north to south, following the Andes while doing as much summits as possible, going down either with skis or paragliding !
To do so, they started the trip in Colombia where they bought a 4x4. After 6 month of travel, the poor car looks like a retired Paris-Dakkar 4x4. I believe every piece of it has been either stolen or broken at some point !

As for the guys, they are exactly what I was hoping for : laid-back, not pretentious, fun and completely mountain addict ! Not surprisingly, the offer to jump on the bandwagon came naturally. I don't think i've been thinking too long about it :)
Once on the snow I could measure their amazing skills ! Of course they live almost in a ski resort in france, and most of them (if not all) live for and by the mountain. Still, seeing the technique in action remains astonishing ! I took as much advices as I could ... can't wait to work on it !

For the people interested in ski-alpinism, here is the post about the 2 days we spent together in the mountains : http://andesthologie.over-blog.com/article-co-godoy-1173-m-f-pass-45-et-co-martial-1264-m-pd-pass-45--39011387.html

2 comments:

  1. Nice, I see you get into steep skiing... Still have to learn that... As well as skiing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Romaric ! You should have a look at their blog (andesthologie), there's more about extreme ski (they did stuff like the "couloir des italiens, a la grande casse" !!).
    Yeah, when I see them skiing, I start thinking like you ... I should start learning ski too !

    ReplyDelete